Jobs in Scotland for Foreigners

Do you want  a job in Scotland for Foreigners? Whether you’re moving there temporarily on a youth visa or you’re making a permanent move to Scotland, you’ll need to find a job soon after you arrive.



Jobs in Scotland for Foreigners

Luckily, there are lots of jobs in Scotland for foreigners.

If you’re on a temporary visa, you may be concerned that no one will want to hire you, since you can’t commit to working for them for an extended period.

The standard interview question, “Where do you see yourself in five years?” is surely going to pop up, right? Wrong! There are so many temporary jobs in Scotland that cater specifically for foreigners seeking temporary work within the country.


It’s one of the things which makes Scotland such a great place to move to as a temporary foreign worker.

What you need to work abroad in Scotland

Before you can work abroad in Scotland, you’ll need the following paperwork and documents. Of course, you can start looking and applying for jobs before you have any of the following. But be sure to have everything mentioned below as soon as you can to make your transition into the workplace much easier.

National Insurance Number for the UK:

To legally work in Scotland, everyone needs a National Insurance Number (NIN). This is a number used by the government to properly document taxes and contributions.

To apply for a National Insurance number, call the National Insurance number application line. The only possible problem you’ll come across is that to get a National Insurance number card, you must have a UK address. So be sure you’re settled somewhere long enough for you to receive all your paperwork and permanent NIN card before you apply for them.

You can apply for jobs and even begin working without a National Insurance number, as long as you let your employer know you’ve applied for one.

To get your NIN and to open up a bank account as an EU citizen, you’re only required to show ID as proof of being able to work abroad in Scotland.

If you’re moving to Scotland from outside the EU, you’ll have to obtain a work visa as proof of being able to work abroad in Scotland before you can get your NIN. The easiest visa to get is a 24-month youth mobility visa, also known as a “working holiday visa” or “gap year visa”. See below for more information on how to get a working holiday visa.

Scottish CV (curriculum vitae )/Resume:

To apply for jobs, you’re required to present a curriculum vitae (resume). The CVs employers expect in Scotland may be slightly different than the ones you’re used to creating in your country. I’m definitely not an expert, so I suggest checking out the following sites for tips.

If English isn’t your first language, please be sure to get a native English speaker to double-check your spelling and grammar. If you don’t know any English speakers, you can hire a freelancer on sites like Upwork to help ensure everything is correct before you begin sending your CV off to potential employers.

Opening a Bank Account in Scotland:

To get paid, you need to have a bank account and getting a Scottish bank account in Scotland isn’t the easiest thing to do as a foreigner. If you’re like me and insist on getting an account with a Scottish bank (Royal Bank of Scotland or Bank of Scotland) you may be required to get a reference from a trusted UK citizen. If you aren’t so picky, it’s much easier to open an account with an English bank, such as Natwest, Lloyds or Barclays.

To open a bank account, you’ll be required to provide proof of address and ID. Generally, a utility bill is sufficient as proof of address. But seeing as you’ve probably just moved to Scotland when you’re opening a bank account, it’s unlikely you’ll have one.

Make sure you take your flat letting Agreement and your temporary work visa with you. This is usually enough to count as proof of address. Most banks will be okay with this. But if yours isn’t, don’t be disheartened. There are plenty more banks throughout Scotland and many of them have no issues for a foreigner to open an account with a temporary work visa.

Work Visa for Scotland

If you’re moving to Scotland from outside the EU, you’re required to obtain a work visa. There are several options available to you, depending on how long you’re planning on staying in Scotland. This allows people from the following countries to obtain a 24-month temporary visa to live and work in Scotland.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *